Wednesday 5 May 2021

Weighty decisions?!

I think it was late last year that my daughter suggested a doorstop sewing project.  She'd recently moved and needed something to hold her bedroom door slightly ajar for cat access.  (A slipper was the right weight but looked untidy).

There are so many doorstop sewing tutorials online and I became a bit over-whelmed by all the options, so the project didn't advance very far.

Nissa returned home yesterday after a splendid 11-day visit.  We managed many excellent adventures - and some sewing also.  

The infamous stash yielded this piece of printed canvas, which had been purchased many years ago for a different doorstop plan.  

After some YouTube viewing, we decided on a very simple pyramid style doorstop, following directions, here.  

I'd made some of those chickens previously, so we opted to make one (non-chicken) about twice the size. 

Our fabric piece was 30 x 16 cm.  The filling was some rubber-ish pellets bought years ago.  I vaguely remember they were some sort of filter medium for medical purposes but don't recall when/where they came from.  I've used them to fill draught snakes, so knew they worked well for that. I hand-sewed the second seam closed, which took quite a while due to the canvas thickness.  I was very happy with the end result though.

Nissa sent some photos this morning of her new doorstop in place - and an action shot of her cat using the door access.  Success!

No comments:

Post a Comment