Tuesday 8 September 2020

Just what the doctor ordered?!

I bought the $20.00 vinyl Gladstone bag last week as an experiment.  It was an unplanned buy but I am enjoying the process of taking it apart - and organising to put it back together.

I'd actually gone into that op-shop to look for a small box, one that might be suitable for carrying a couple of port glasses on our road-trips.  When I explained my vague idea, the lovely volunteer went "out the back" and returned with a $4.50 hinged wine box.  

Nick and I bought some very cheap glasses yesterday, from a different op-shop.  $4.40 was exchanged for four shorter flutes, three small brandy balloons (for port), one 20-cent ice-cube tray and a 20-cent bottle opener. Yep, we had a big spend-up! (Not all the glasses will come away, spares will stay at home).

Later in the afternoon we purchased another $20.00 bag.  This one is leather and a different style.  This version is sometimes referred to as a medicine or doctor's bag.  Ours is being dismantled, ready to be revamped.

As I've researched vintage luggage repairs and restorations, I've seen lots of neat projects. Some clever people converted old suitcases into traveling mini bars. Our latest bag isn't going to be quite that fancy but we are scheming for it to become a port port - or a doctor's bag carrying medicinal alcohol!  

No comments:

Post a Comment