Wednesday 2 September 2020

Glad it's (finally) finished!

Nick's bag is finally finished - hooray!

Replacing the end lining pieces was more of a mission than I expected and I needed to revise my thinking a few times. 

The guitar fabric was leftover from where I covered a notebook for Nick earlier in the year.  I cut it carefully to create two rectangles. 

My original plan was to sew the pieces to the existing lining edges but that proved more difficult than envisaged, so I used strong adhesive instead.  As you can can see in the second collage, the raw edges of the original lining were still visible beside the fixed guitar pieces.  

I then decided to use some green webbing to create a better finish between the sides of the replacement lining sections and original lining edges.

I'd used E6000 for the first part of the project but originally bought it to repair some jewelery pieces (and didnt want to buy more), so opted to use Aquadhere on the webbing pieces.  

The E6000 had a tacky consistency.  In contrast the Aquadhere was quite liquid. Yep.  It was a messy operation!

I'd used kitchen weights (and wrapped rocks) to press down the lining panels but those options weren't very effective for the webbing, so I tried a couple of makeshift methods - i.e. the foldback clip with a piece of sponge as well as a few pins.

Nick walked past and remembered some proper clamps hiding downstairs, which were much easier to use - and far more suitable!  

The clamps stayed in place overnight and I removed them this morning.  Happy to report they worked well and held everything in place nicely.  I'm very pleased with how the complete bag looks - and so is Nick!  

The small guitar buttons hold the replacement pocket elastic in place.  I needed to remove the label from it's original position when I replaced the end linings.  It's now on the pocket, secured by one of the buttons.

(I've now published  footage of all the bags to give a better overview of how good they look)!

No comments:

Post a Comment