Thursday 10 September 2020

Bags not removing rivets!

Earlier in the week I dropped our $20.00 vinyl bag to a leather-worker.  It made sense to have the handles repaired by someone more experienced in that work.  I returned to collect the bag today but the lovely fellow hadn't finished due to having difficulty extracting two rivets, necessary to enable the repair.  

Nick had the same difficulties removing similar rivets from the second (leather) $20.00 bag, so I'll collect the vinyl one next week.  In the meantime I have ordered waxed thread and harness needles, which I'll need to re-attach the frame to the bag (at the same time as replacing the lining). 

We ordered a different style of rivet to replace all those removed from the brown leather bag.  The new style screws in and can be removed fairly easily, if necessary.

I took out the lining from the doctor bag and unpicked it carefully so I can use it as a pattern.  However, I am still deciding whether I want to make the new lining in the same style or more like the one I did for the other bag.

While I ponder the lining, I removed a lot of the cardboard stiffeners from the bag.  Nick started that mission the other night and then I did more yesterday.  I lay a damp cloth over the old cardboard, which then scraped away fairly easily.  At this stage, the base cardboard has been left in place.  The bottom of the bag bows somewhat and we are thinking of the best method to flatten it.  If we can avoid taking out that last support piece, we will.  We do plan to replace the four side support pieces so as to give the bag better shape and structure.  And yes, there has been a lot of YouTube research about vintage luggage restoration!

I polished the metal hardware on the frame today, as well as two clasp pieces that mount on the narrow ends of the bag.  I used Brasso and fine steel wool to brighten all of them.  Given the replacement rivets will be shiny new, I polished more vigorously than I had for the other two Gladstone bags.  The handle received a bit of attention also. (I'll take some "after" pics of the centre section another day).  

No comments:

Post a Comment