Saturday 26 September 2020

Jammin'!

Ann very kindly gifted three kilos of mulberries from her backyard tree, when we visited her in Dalby.  I processed one kilo as pie/pudding filling on Friday night, which made three containers for the freezer.

I made the remaining mulberries into jam yesterday, batching one kilo at a time because that's the capacity of my two-litre pyrex jug (which I use in the microwave).

Last year I was able to make just one jar of mulberry/apple jam, using the small berries we can access from branches that overhang into our yard.  The berries are even smaller this year, so I didn't try to beat the birds.  As pretty as that single jar of jam was, I'd overdone the cooking a little so it was almost fruity toffee!

I was very conscious of extra carefully watching these batches, peering through the microwave door to check on the bubbling concoction!

My increased scrutiny worked and I was far more pleased with the end result - six large, fabulously red jars of mulberry jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment