Monday 22 June 2020

Holey moley, it's dry!

I've done more work to our Gladstone bags this past week.  When checking the leather on Nick's bag, after my spa treatment, I noticed a small tear.  It's near the edge of one of the end gusset pieces, so not hugely noticeable - but I will mend it.  

Once I'd decided to repair the tear, I chose to also replace the holey lining on both ends.  I cut out two pieces, as neatly as possible.  Fully replacing the lining is probably beyond my skill-set and enthusiasm at this stage but I think I'll do OK with these smaller sections.  Fingers crossed!

Once the worn fabric was removed, I could see how dry the leather was - in spite of conditioning the outer side. I gave each end a liberal dose of conditioner.  I'll leave that a few days before trying to patch the tear.

After pondering, I decided to remove the pocket elastic.  The trickiest part was working in a deep bag, in a poorly lit room!  Yes, I could've found a head-torch rather than balancing this little one but where's the fun in that?!  

I threaded a double length of new elastic through.  It's pinned firmly, ready for the next step.  We have a property inspection later this week.  I find them stressful, so am probably doing a lot more preparation than is necessary.  On the bright side, while I'm busy with those other missions I'm also thinking about the best way to patch the leather tear - and attach the replacement lining sections.  I just hope the reality will be a good match for my vision!

No comments:

Post a Comment