Friday 2 April 2021

Happy Easter!

Facebook reminded me this morning that in 2012 I first started using a bread-maker for Hot Cross Bun (HCB) production. I'd made them by hand the previous year with Vaughan's assistance (bottom collage pic) and was keen not to knead so much, given our multiple batches.

(Recent investigations revealed some arthritis and small ganglions in my left wrist but both wrists have had niggles for quite a long time).

The breadmaker was a $10.00 bargain, sourced second-hand.  Such a great investment!  I was very pleased to find it still going strong in 2017 (after 18 months or so in storage).  It gets a big work-out at Easter!  

Quick calculations. Ten years of home-made HCBs with batches made for all but one Easter. I'm not sure how many individual buns have been made. I've noted five dozen in 2019!  I only make them at Easter, so we indulge but we gift them also.  It's rare for Nick to be not-working at Easter and we often send some with him to share with colleagues.  

In 2014 they were made at Yowah on our Cobb Cookers and then in Lui's fuel stove when we ran out of heat beads. 2016 was missed, cos the gazebo kitchen was even trickier than its tent successor!

I've been happily pottering today, baking several batches of HCBs.  Well, technically these were Hot Cross(less ) Buns cos I wasn't feeling up to the angst of failure!

Some years I excel at piping crosses - but most years I don't do so well.  2015 was a good year (see the third and fourth collage pics). You can see Vaughan  wearing the same shirt in 2015 as he did in 2011, which was pure co-incidence!

The house smelled so wonderful as I was baking. By the end of the day I'd made three batches, 16 in each. 

I use the breadmaker to mix the dough, a cycle of one and a half hours. 

The breadmaker beeps at a certain part of the dough cycle for any inclusions to be added.  I haven't had great success doing this.  Chocolate chips have completely melted into the dough, and sultanas have been mashed to a sticky paste!  Given that experience I prefer to knead the fruit and/or chocolate in by hand when the dough is ready. 

I stood at the kitchen window dividing and shaping the dough into buns, watching the breeze in the trees and listening to a few birds. It was quite meditative.  "Mine" were the first batch. Heavily spiced and fruited. Baking in the turbo oven caused the sultanas at the top to swell hugely and candify - perfect! An experimental batch were next. White choc and cranberry. Not so spiced, which meant the dough rose a little higher before added the choc and fruit. Interesting.  

Miss Erin was the official taste-tester of "her" batch and was delighted to declare them "better than the shop's"!  Vaughan prefers a double choc version.  Lightly spiced chocolate dough with choc-chips mixed through.  The chocolate bits tend to melt when baked - which is a bonus!

From time to time my mother baked Hot Cross Buns.  I can remember her doing so at Yowah because they wouldn't have been available otherwise.  I may have made them earlier than 2011 but I can't clearly recall doing so.  Why did I start making them?  Well, I don't like orange peel and am not a fan of bland supermarket offerings. It was tricky to find somewhere that made HCBs how I liked them and then they were usually more expensive, so I decided to perfect my recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment