Saturday, 25 January 2014

More pilfered plums!

We were out and about today.  On the way home I asked Nick to stop so we could pilfer more plums.  He found another tree, laden with yellow fruit.

Once home I weighed our haul and we had just over a kilo - mainly of yellow plums but with some red. I looked online for a recipe which more or less matched pantry ingredients and settled upon "Richly Spiced Plum Chutney".

Although I read through the recipe (and tweaked some of the ingredients), I didn't look at the comments.  Had I done that, I would have reduced the amount of vinegar substantially.  As a result the chutney required a far longer simmering time to reduce sufficiently before bottling.  Oh, well! 

The yield was two large 500ml jars and one smaller 250ml jar.  The lids are popping as I write - I do love that sound! I sampled a tiny leftover after bottling and think I've done good work. I guess now we wait two weeks (as per the recipe) for a proper taste-test!

No comments:

Post a Comment