Saturday 18 May 2013

Saucy stuff!

I conducted another kitchen experiment this week - ie. more cheap entertainment!

Last weekend I put together all the ingredients to make a homemade version of Worcestershire sauce.  (Typically, I'd pondered making it for several years before I actually got round to putting thoughts into action)!

The actual process was super-simple.  All the ingredients (vinegar, garlic, cayenne pepper, cloves, salt, lemons and treacle) were mixed together in a large jar. 

The jar was placed near the insulated bag which contains my sourdough starter - so my morning routine included feeding the starter and stirring the sauce. Easy! 

This morning I strained off the sauce and decanted it into an empty vinegar bottle.  There was a little over two litres.  According to the recipe, the mixture should now rest for two weeks.  I already have a generic brand of Worcestershire sauce in the panty, so the flavour of my home-made version will have plenty of time to develop before I start using it. 

Of course, I don't actually use large quantities of Worcestershire sauce, so it will be interesting to see how long my two-plus litres lasts!

2 comments:

  1. It amazes me what you can achieve in your kitchen! Can't wait to see how the sourdough mother works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm enjoying my kitchen science! The mother was smelling a bit boozy this morning and hopefully that will continue ...

    ReplyDelete