Sunday 21 April 2013

A few sour words ...

I first watched this video nearly a year ago but had been interested in bread-making long before that.   I do make bread but to date my efforts have used dry yeast and generally the dough is mixed in my bargain breadmaker (bought second-hand from eBay for just $10.00). 

Yesterday we visited the Riddells Creek Farmers Market.  As well as our fresh produce acquisitions we purchased a loaf of organic, wood-fired sourdough bread. 


It was a nice loaf - but I've baked bread that I've enjoyed just as much, if not more.  That realisation had me thinking that I really should start the sourdough starter that has been on my agenda for far too many months!  I enlisted Vaughan's aid and we now have our starter (or "mother" as he calls it) doing it's thing quietly in a warm corner of the lounge room.  Hopefully we'll see signs of "life" soon!

2 comments:

  1. Great read. Sourdough hey Farmer Hamby! Good on you! The Tartine video was brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nammo! I watched the Tartine video several times when I first saw it, just loved the image of him tucking all the loaves up - like swaddling babies! I was re-inspired when I watched it again today ...

    ReplyDelete