Monday 30 March 2020

Staying home ...

We're living in very interesting times - and I've been revamping my garden as distraction from the ongoing world-wide chaos.

Of course, if anything grows/thrives as a result of these most recent efforts, it would be a marvelous bonus (and I'd be hugely chuffed)!

The first stage of my project was our back verandah.  It's used far less often over the hot summer months, so was looking neglected.  I re-potted various plants and have planted seeds for new herbs also.

Heavy rain in February restored green-ness to our yard and the back paddock.  Sadly the wet conditions provided excellent breeding conditions for mozzies and other bitey insects.  Fingers crossed their numbers dwindle as the weather cools.

My gardening efforts last year resulted in small amounts of home-grown produce.  It was a better yield than previously, so I am hopeful of even more success this year. 

I haven't ventured to Bunnings or any local nurseries to seek seedlings or plants.  I'm not sure whether those expeditions would be successful.  Instead I've decided to work with seeds already on-hand.  Erin grows some greens for lizard food and has contributed her seed packets also.  Between us we had quite a few leafy green varieties that are relatively quick growing, so those have been planted in the square beds. 

Some seeds have already passed their best-before date.  I've used them anyway, heartened by my kitchen bench sprouting experiments.  The alfalfa is sprouting nicely even though the seeds were to be used by 2015.  Mung beans of similar age have also done well. I'll try some other combinations while I'm waiting for the garden beds to start producing.

Last year I grew dwarf beans in the taller metal bed.  I might try those again - or some peas.  I'll do some more pondering before planting either.  (My right forearm is currently painful, so Nick has been treating the area with heat gel and massage.  Of course, I also need to pace myself more slowly to gain the most benefit from his assistance).

The large black pot has some tomato plants that still have a few flowers.  I'll leave them for now.  We might get a couple of extra tomatoes - if we're lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment