Friday 17 May 2019

And then there were two (or four)!

Yesterday, we bought a second Holman modular bed from Bunnings. Nick assembled it when we came home - after I cleared grass from the intended position. 

I already had a bag of garden soil as well as a generous half bag of mushroom compost leftover from the first bed(s), so we used those as filling.

Although I subscribe to (and read) Gardenate's email planting reminders for my climate zone I started my first garden bed in late April, so had missed opportunities to plant some vegetables I would regularly use. 

It occurred to me last night that those varieties may still be available as seedlings. Today was a local public holiday but our nearest Bunnings was open.  After careful consideration I chose a capsicum plant, some broccoli and zucchini seedlings and a pack of lettuce seeds.

I planted my new acquisitions into the second bed(s) this afternoon.  The soil was damp due to rain throughout the day.

When planting the seedlings, it became obvious I hadn't read the broccoli plant label properly.  From the picture, I thought they were broccolini seedlings - der!  Not to worry.  I found some broccoli seeds (a different variety) and have planted some of them as well. I'm a bit concerned about spacing for the zucchini but have planted them close to the side of the bed, hoping they'll spill over to the ground if necessary.

I really like how these beds look and enjoy seeing all the growing progress - up close or from our upstairs back verandah.  At this stage I'm not planning to buy any more beds though have thoughts of upcycling a couple of old pots with a can of spray paint.  They may become flower pots.  I did have some pansy seeds in my stash.  They were scattered just outside the first modular bed.  The site of the old "compost" heap has received some sunflower seeds.  I'm not sure either variety will sprout but they have a better chance in the ground than stored in a box! 

No comments:

Post a Comment