Saturday 24 August 2013

Sticks and stones!

Hamby Home(in)stead's exterior was somewhat neglected when we took over.  The gardens were overgrown, various rubbish was stored behind the house - and elsewhere in the house paddock.  It was clear that the previous tenants hadn't kept up with the up-keep of the property. 

We've made some improvements since our March arrival.  One of the first things I did was to cut-back the geranium jungle of the garden adjacent to the entry area. 


I also gave the jasmine a severe haircut, to the extent it still has a bald patch along the supporting lattice! When I inspected it today, there were plenty of buds so it can't be doing too badly. As you can see, the geranium has started to grow back.  It's far more compact now and a lot healthier.

A few weeks ago I reorganised the stone border, reusing rocks that had been buried beneath the overgrowth.  It seems that the garden edge had been replaced a few times as the geranium took up more area!

While out and about with Nick yesterday, I purchased six hydrangea sticks from a church op-shop. 

The price of op-shop hydrangea sticks?  $1.00 for the set!  I reckon I can't go wrong with that kind of investment! 

Even better, the volunteer assured me that I just needed to poke the sticks into the ground and they would grow.  Simple.  Even I should be able to manage that.  I think.  With luck.


(Of course, I am hoping that as the sticks came from plants growing beside the church, they may have an even better chance of survival). 

I poked around in the garden today.  My vague plan was to remove a lot of grass and weeds, to clear some space for the hydrangea sticks in front of the lattice.  The agapanthus clump (visible in the March pic, near the chair) has been bothering me though.  I decided to divide it into five and replant the fifths closer to the rock border.  I've left space between them, to allow for further multiplication (assuming they survive my rough surgery).

I'm feeling a bit stiff and sore after my exertions.  Hopefully I'll be ready for a bit more physical effort tomorrow.  I have a Plan B though.  Stick the sticks into the ground and weed around them later!

No comments:

Post a Comment